Telephone: 01621 734888

  • Bouley Bay

Passport and ID

You do not need a passport to travel from the UK to the Channel Islands as they are deemed to be in The Common Travel Area (CTA).

The CTA comprises of the UK, the Republic of Ireland, the Bailiwick of Guernsey (Guernsey, Alderney and Sark), the Bailiwick of Jersey and the Isle of Man. Within these areas there are no immigration controls in place and therefore no requirement to carry a passport. However the States of Jersey do recommend carrying a form of photographic ID as it will be needed by the airline or ferry company or by an immigration or police officer on arrival. Photographic ID could be a:

  • full new style driving licence
  • bus pass
  • armed forces ID card
  • Student ID card
  • firearms certificate
  • photographic disabled badge

Don’t forget!

If you do not have any photographic ID you can apply for a Citizencard which can be obtained from your local post office or download a form here.

If your ID card is from outside the EU, you will not need a separate visa for the Channel Islands as you will already have a UK visa but it is advisable to carry a letter from the home office confirming your residential status.

Don’t forget if you plan to drive you will need your full new style photographic driving licence and a certificate of insurance which includes cover for the Channel Islands. Also if you plan to pop over to France during your Channel Islands stay, a passport will be needed.